Leggo My Eggo


I used to have a sloping stove. Eggs always ran to the right side of the pan, so I got used to dropping them onto the right side from the start.


I still do it.

EVERY TIME.

And yet, after 45 years, I've never been able to get into the habit of flossing.

Mike is the King of Egg-Sandwich-Making.

He plops a dollop of butter into the frying pan. Adds the eggs, being careful not to break the yolks. Pops bread into the toaster. Flips the eggs, adding several dashes of salt and pepper. Spreads the toast generously with butter. Sticks the eggs on the toast, breaking the yolks. Cuts the sandwiches into quarters. (This may be the key to the deliciousness.)

Well, that or the half stick of butter that gets used in the process.


Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Not the most prudent thing, you will recall
An egg is an egg and it surely will break
Might as well use it to make chocolate cake

And speaking of chocolate cake, here's a yummy recipe:

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup hot, brewed coffee
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan.
Cream the sugar and shortening together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well. Stir in the cocoa, milk, flour, baking powder, boiling coffee, baking soda and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

And then, of course, slather it with your favorite chocolate frosting recipe.

May I say, it's eggcellent. All it's cracked up to be. I ain't yolking. Shell I continue?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like ketchup on my fried egg sandwich. Yum! Followed by chocolate cake for dessert, of course!

Timber said...

Yikes! Not sure that I'd like that, although I don't like french fries without a LOT of it.