Wintry Worship

I'm always up for an adventure (as long as it doesn't involve heights, wildlife, spookiness, or sushi). So today's challenge of church services in a building without electricity or heat was right up my alley.

No bulletin, no Powerpoint, no piano, no early service - just a simple, humble time of worship, praise, prayer, scripture reading, and preaching. It was beautiful! And a little cold. We distributed blankets, and some of us wore scarves and hats. I brought my handy dandy mittens. I'm a mitten wearer. No gloves for me - my fingers prefer to stick together and keep each other warm.

The evening service seemed warmer somehow. Maybe we dressed warmer. Maybe it was the candles!


My nose was cold.


We sat in a close group, and shared favorite Bible verses and testimonies. We sang songs, and we prayed. And prayed some more.


Nothing as small as a little darkness and cold is gonna keep us from God's house!

How lovely is your dwelling place,
O LORD Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you.
Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper
in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

No comments: