I'm Not Laughing AT You...Wait, Yes I Am


Got a little rain today.



This is the street in front of the church. Reminds me of the time a woman with a wooden leg drove right into the flooded ditch, rear end sticking up nearly vertical.

The car's rear end, silly.

A couple of Victory Home guys managed to pull her out of the car and carry her and her buoy, I mean leg, to safety.

The first time that road flooded we'd only been here a few months. That was around the time that a man got hopping mad in the morning service. Mike was quoting the ridiculous writings of a woman who believed that people aren't meant to have a single mate for a lifetime because most animals don't. The man missed the part about the beliefs belonging to this strange woman and thought they were Mike's. The further into the quote, the redder the shade of the man's face. His eyes jerked back and forth between his wife's face and Mike's and for a minute there I thought he was going to pop a vein in his neck.

Not long after that, Mike was trying to help a little old woman in a trailer park by providing some groceries. He arrived with bread and canned goods and rice, and the woman peered into the bags and complained, "Don't you have any sausage? I need sausage, and bacon. My doctor says I need meat and sausage and eggs and bacon."

Oh, those were the days. I remember a man taking offense at something Mike said during a message. Right out loud he said, "He shouldn't have said that."

Mike's a good sport and puts up with a lot of nuttiness, which is fortunate considering that on any given day a whole load of it comes his way. He tries not to laugh in front of the person delivering the nuttiness.

I won't say that he's always succeeded...

2 comments:

Modemom said...

Melanie gets her groove back!

Still laughing out loud (LOL) second time around. Now I'm laughing at myself at my feeble attempt at humor--so obscure only I know what I'm talking about.

Brenda Covert said...

It's funny (okay, totally weird) that a little rain reminds you of the trouble Mike has gotten into in the ministry! When it rains, it pours, huh? hehehe