Winners, Runners and Termaters

And the Emmy Board Game goes to...


Games will be on their way this week. Don't you just love getting packages in the mail? And when they contain chocolate, well, that's reason to 
dance a little jig! (I do so love to dance a little jig now and then.)

In other news, I've been a good girl: exercising and eating lotsa fiber. Mike's still jogging (that's him below; I'm sitting on the curb resting, of course). 
I loathe running of any sort. Much prefer funner exercise like biking, croquet, mall shopping walking, etc. 


As I've mentioned before, every Spring I get the planting bug...every summer I neglect the whole caboodle and give it over to the mosquitos, and every fall...


...this is where we end up. 


And yet, by the grace of God, I get goodies now and then!


In the past week, I've collected red and green peppers, tomatoes (more than all summer) and green onions. Amazing! I've stepped out into that yard all of six times this summer, and probably every time it was because I was making one of my favorites recipes (and one of the only ones Mike requests; how should I take that?): 

Salmon Cakes (adapted from Chicken of the Sea) 


2 pouches (large) of Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon
(I suppose one could use canned, but the boney parts freak me out a bit)

1/2 cup finely chopped green onions

1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

A couple of dashes of cayenne pepper

2 medium eggs, beaten

2 cups seasoned (or not) breadcrumbs - divided

Butter for frying

Combine first five ingredients in a bowl. Stir in salmon, egg and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs. Form mixture into balls (this makes about 8), roll in remaining bread crumbs and flatten. Fry in butter (just use the amount your conscience allows, hehe) until golden brown on each side.

We love them with spaghetti squash (as above) and they also make great sandwiches if you manage to have any leftover the next day. It's a very flexible recipe - I've used grapefruit juice in place of lemon, tuna in place of some of the salmon, and panko for the bread crumbs. The original recipe called for garlic powder, which I don't love, but you may. So have at it, and use up those end-of-season garden offerings!

2 comments:

Brenda Christmas said...

Oh yay, I won! Now shall I give my acceptance speech? I couldn't have done it without all the little people, and all that ... teehee

You garden only slightly better than I do. You would think I'd have a green thumb, being a descendant of farmers and all, not to mention being forced to work in the family garden plot every summer. But sadly, my thumb is brown, as are any plants I try to cultivate.

tuftsmel said...

I don't remember having my mouth water
just reading a recipe -- maybe my memory is shot -- but your description
of salmon cakes sure did it!!! Can't wait to try 'em! Dad